Friday, May 16, 2008

The mid CT post

Again, I have so much that I want to say. My mind is so bottled up with thoughts that I don't know which one should be let out first. Or whether I should just let those thoughts sink to the bottom.

Something funny, but not of ANY entertainment value
Two boys were called up to sing during the assembly for being caught disrupting the assembly. Honestly speaking, I don't see how this is some form of punishment or humiliation (if it was meant to be like that). Sometimes, you just got to wonder what is Ms P is thinking. People could hardly sing the national anthem without looking at the pair of "vanguards" standing next to Mervin. Nevertheless, she said her "disclaimers" and we kind of understood the underlying message. Even though it wasnt very obvious right from the start. But I have to applaud Ms P for thinking of punishment techniques which is more creative than some of the PW presentations.

The Mid CTs Syndromme
For the past week or so, I have been slogging my ass out for some last minute cramming for this CTs. Did my effort pay off? Honestly speaking, I have no idea. I have lots of mixed feelings after every paper. I thought I had some good arguments here and there, and some which are most probably fallacious and unsound. Maths was pretty disastrous given that I left about 20 marks blank. Chemistry was... around the same, 20 marks blank. I don't know if this is good, I mean, somebody might have left more than 20 marks blank... Right now, I have this lethargy to study for the bio paper. I have to read through one thick stack of notes and I just felt like boiling them and drink it up.

A Big Miss?
I was nominated to represent the college for the Hugh Obrien World Youth Leadership Conference in Washington. At the start, it sounded really cool, but the price tag isn't. A whopping $4000 for the entire trip. WOAH. Perhaps it is by chance or some sort of intelligent design, I forgot to tell Ms M and she took it as "I'm not interested", so my name wasn't even submitted to VC. Perhaps, this might be something good. If I'm going for that, I would be misssing out on NEFMQ and Floorball Nationals and revision for prelims.

So perhaps, it isn't such a big miss after all.

Character Analysis
I'm not much of a lit student, but I have been trying real hard in observing people recently. (whether I'm good at it is another issue) Let's start with Ms M. Ms M is a VERY VERY VERY VERY knowledgable teacher (she knows things from happenings in german banks to fast food restaurants in Russia to car names in US and etc and etc and etc), but sometimes, her style of teaching is rather ineffective. Half of the time, it was a monologue and us looking like a flaccid piece of sponge and trying to absorb something from the words out of her mouth. Sometimes, you just can't have the best of both worlds. You can have a very good teacher with a hateable character OR you can have a rather not-so-good teacher with a lovable character. If you come across both, (which I think you need a poisson distribution to calculate that) you're in luck. So please go buy 4D/TOTO/Lottery.

X has been someone whom I admire for some time. Honestly speaking, I am DAMN impressed about this person's work rate and X's drive for perfection. X belongs to the higher class, not because of her family. From the way X blogs, from the way X spends and from the way X argues (with me, most of the time), you just know that X is someone of that calibre and X will make it big in the future. On the other hand, (I think) X needs confidence even though X has everything at her fingertips. X needs people who can empathise and absorb X infectious drive for perfection. Either by telling X that the level of perfection which X demands from Xself is VERY HIGH already, or by accompanying X to be as high while retaining that important value of humility. X needs people whom X admires, not someone who admires X, so that X remains inspired and continues to realise that there is a higher level of excellence which X can (and eventually) achieve. X needs someone of logic, reason and authority, not someone who is just plainly knowledgable and flaunting he is (more) knowledgable; to correct X of the most minute flaws which X hardly sees or to point out the fallacies which X ferociously defend as the truth.

Ultimately, X needs someone to walk the journey with X, and not someone who thinks that he/she understands X because the more you think you understand X, the less you are. Does that imply that I just typed out another paragraph of crap. Perhaps so. Obviously, I'm not one of those whom X will admire. I (should have) know right from the start.

No comments: