Saturday, March 1, 2008

Quiet Week

It has been a quiet week, both in school and at home. I didn't feel like talking much, thinking that I should step back a little and start observing changes happening around me. In addition to that, Dad and Mom went to Japan and left me "home alone", so I have a larger space to reflect as well.

You've not been talking to me for the whole week... wonder if something happened. Or because nothing happened and remained that way? Sometimes, I just wish that there could be someone who often needs my help. It makes me feel special or treasured in one way or another. Or rather a meaning to live for. I think, I know a little bit more about you, and that's why the dynamics are different and some things will never happen...

Anyway, I went out to watch "The Leap Years", alone. The story is really touching one (most romantic movies do actually), but what makes this story special is the mix of Asian values together with the Western Literature's ideas about Love, truly fitting into the Singaporean context. Some of the scenes are really heartwarming and romantic, for example, the four girls, the first date at the rooftop and the run in the rain. In Love stories, we often talk about fate and promises, and this movie has both intertwined and truly showed how excruciating it can be to be separated from your other half. One of the things which the actor said was really thought-provoking, he said," I think you are really brave. Most people cannot stand the loneliness and long to be loved by someone. You are willing to wait for the right one to pop up. You are really special." Well, I think I fall into the majority group, not that I am that spectacular when it comes to love matters.

The only flaw that the film has is that the 4 years of waiting in between was not explicitly shown or expressed, rather it was only expressed in forms of letters, narration and quotes. What happened in between was not accounted for.... maybe it was intentional, just that I failed to see the reason behind doing so. Perhaps having some mysteries in between will spice things up a bit.

No comments: